The island initially called Jesus Christ, was the third
Island in the archipelago of the Azores to be discovered, hence the name Terceira (third).
From the beginning Terceira played a very important role during the discovery period,
mainly because of its geographic location and also because of its ports and
coves. The villa of Angra, known today as Angra do Heroismo is actually the capital of
Terceira, and was the first to be named to a city in the Azores in 1534. The name
"Heroismo" was given to the city by the Queen Dona Maria II in the XIX century
for its demonstrated bravery during the liberal battles.